The NYPD is replacing some of the old green lanterns in front of police stations and replacing them with modern energy efficient L.E.D. lanterns.
It is believed that the Rattle Watchmen, who patrolled then “New Amsterdam” in the 1650’s, carried lanterns at night with green glass sides in them, as a means of identification. When they returned to the watch house after patrol, they hung their lantern on a hook by the front door to show people that the watchman was in the watch house. Today, green lights are hung outside the entrances of police precincts as a symbol that today’s modern ‘Watch’ — the men and women of the NYPD — are always present and ready to protect the people of New York City.