As we enter the holiday season many people will be shopping online for great deals. Have a look at a few tips that will help keep you safe and secure on the internet and while you shop in stores.
- Connect with care. Never provide your banking or credit card information over an unsecured public WiFi network.
- Be cautious online. Do not click on suspicious links or download items from unknown sources.
- Pay attention to website URLs. Shop only at credible, reputable websites, and look for URLs that start with “https”, which are more secure than “http” sites.
- Set strong passwords. Make sure your account and WiFi passwords are complex and unique to each account.
- Don’t believe everything you see. Hackers and thieves often use “can’t miss” deals to lure unsuspecting customers and collect credit card or financial information.
- Keep a record of your order. Retain all documentation from the order in case there is an issue with the purchase and use credit cards that limit your liability for fraudulent charges.
- Check your statements. Check your purchase records against your credit card and bank statements. If there are differences, report them immediately to your bank and police when needed.